The Albany House sits on a large triangular shaped sloping site with mature Norfolk pine trees and a great view over King George Sound. A forgotten house from the 1950’s provided the perfect opportunity to support a new mammal, a continuous hinged line that connects to the sloping site creating a ramp for quick and dramatic access. Clad in Zinaclume Steel the new skin will mellow with age, the re-cycled timber will weather to a silky grey, creating a connection to the southern right whales of Albany.
The existing house will be hollowed out to connect spaces, close and distant views, a new glazed roof allows winter sun to penetrate in to the middle of the house providing warmth and views to the mature pine trees.
While it remains unbuilt it was highly influential on subsequent projects and remains a special project.